Dal Khichdi is a comfort food for many, which tends to remind you of your childhood. This dish is absolutely nutritious and delicious at the same time!
1 cup kolum rice, soaked for 30 minutes
½ cup split pigeon peas (toor dal), soaked for 30 minutes
½ cup split skinless green gram (dhuli moong dal), soaked for 30 minutes
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1-2 green chillies, finely chopped
2 tablespoons ghee + for drizzling
1 teaspoon cumin seed (jeera)
½ teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 medium tomato, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
1. Combine drained rice, split pigeon peas, split green gram, ½ teaspoon chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, green chillies and 2½ cups water in a pressure cooker and mix well. Cover, place on heat and pressure cook till 2-3 whistles are released. Open the lid when the excess air is completely released.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a non-stick pan. Add cumin seeds and when it changes colour, add asafoetida and sauté.
3. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add onion and sauté till golden brown. Add tomato and sauté till soft. Add remaining chilli powder and salt, mix and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add cooked rice mixture, mix and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add coriander leaves and mix well.
5. Drizzle some ghee on top and serve hot with yogurt and pickle.
Click to Subscribe: http://bit.ly/1h0pGXf
Best cooked in Wonderchef Kitchenware. Buy Now on : https://goo.gl/eB9kQq
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/ChefSanjeevKapoor
Twitter : https://twitter.com/sanjeevkapoor