Hey GUYS! Welcome back to another UNCENSORED EATS cooking tutorial.
Today’s menu is Brown Stew Chicken. Also known as stew chicken, brown stew chicken is widely eaten across Jamaica, mostly for dinner. The chicken is seasoned and marinaded for at least a day in various spices and herbs and then lightly caramelized and braised down in its own juices or chicken stock. The chicken cooks for about 2.5 hours until the meat is fork tender. The dish can be served with white rice, rice and peas and or gungo rice and peas with fried plantain, scotch bonnet pepper and a side salad.
#brownstewchicken #recipes #jamaica
Recipe is below:
12 pieces Chicken parts
6 cloves Garlic, smashed
2 large Onions, chopped
5 stalks Scallions
4 sprigs Thyme
1/3 cup Browning
1.5 ounces Soy sauce
1/4 cup Ketchup
2 tbsp Jamaican all purpose seasoning
6 each Allspice berries
4 each Juniper berries
3 tbsp Garlic powder
3 tbsp Onion powder
2 tsp Paprika
1/4 cup Brown sugar
2.5 cups Yukon gold potatoes
2 Bell peppers, chopped
2 cups Carrots, chopped
Pinch of salt
Pinch of black pepper
3 cups of Chicken Stock or Water
1 spring Sage
4 tbsp Cornstarch
1/4 cup Water
1. Clean chicken, see prior video. Place chicken in a bowl. Add garlic powder, onion powder, browning, soy sauce, ketchup, paprika, brown sugar, allspice berries, juniper berries, Jamaican all spice seasoning. Rub the seasoning in and mix well.
2. Add 2 tablespoons of oil and a pinch of salt black pepper, bell peppers, onions, tomatoes and scallion mix well. Rest in the refrigerator to marinate for 30 minutes, best if left over night. Remove chicken 15 minutes prior to cooking to remove some of the chill.
3. In a pot over medium high heat, add 1.5 cups of oil. Remove the scallions, onion, tomatoes, peppers and herbs off the chicken and lightly caramelized chicken until each side of the chicken is brown in color. Remove chicken place back into the bowl. Repeat process until all the chicken is lightly caramelized.
4. Drain off 1 cup of the oil reserving 1/5 cup. Turn the heat down to medium low. Add all the pieces of the chicken back into the pot. Add the season veggies (tomatoes, onions, scallion, and peppers) into the pot. Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes. After the 15 minutes mix the veggies into the chicken.
5. Add herbs and chicken stock or water. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. After the 30 minutes add carrots and potatoes and cook for another 15 minutes. Add scotch bonnet pepper and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Mix 4 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water into the sauce. Stir until the sauce is thick and rich. Be careful not to break the chicken; because the chicken is very tender at this point. Simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Serve hot. Chicken can be served with plain white rice, rice and peas and or gungo rice and peas, fried plantains, scotch bonnet pepper and a side salad.
I hope you all love my recipe. Don’t forget to like, share and SUBSCRIBE.
COMMENT BELOW, I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU GUYS.
HIT THE LINK BELOW TO SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL FOR MORE.
For business inquire:
PRODUCT REVIEW INQUIRES:
SEND ME STUFF:
PO BOX 8485
SADDLEBROOK, NJ, 07663
DONATE TO THE CONTENT