Loaded with vegetables and lentils, this stew has a wonderfully aromatic peanut sauce. Serve over rice, or with warm pita bread.
Vegetable Stew in Peanut Sauce
2 Tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
2 cups (500 mL) chopped onions
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
1 Tbsp (15 mL) minced ginger
3 cups (750 mL) chopped potatoes
2 cups (500 mL) chopped green cabbage
1 cup (250 mL) split red lentils
5 cups (1.25 L) tomato juice
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
2 cups (500 mL) chopped zucchini
3/4 cup (175 mL) peanut butter
1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
1. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Stir in onions and saute for 5 minutes until transparent. Stir in garlic, jalapeno pepper (add the seeds for heat, discard them if you don’t want heat), and ginger. Stir for another 2 minutes.
2. Add potatoes and cabbage, cover and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Stir in lentils, tomato juice, tomatoes, 1/2 cup (125 mL) water, salt, sugar, and pepper. Cover, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until lentils and potatoes are tender.
4. Stir in the zucchini and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in peanut butter and cilantro. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Adjust seasonings with more salt and pepper, if required. Garnish with more cilantro and serve.
Recipe and video brought to you by Canadian Lentils